Well, here's a new experience! I've been tagged by a fellow blogger. One I'm not even sure I know, but that's hardly a reason not to play. Right?
So... NeedSleepy wants me to tell you, my imaginary friends, 8 random things about myself. Then I have to find 8 other bloggers to tag (that may be the hard part...)
Here goes nothing...
1. I have been to nearly all 50 states. When I was a kid my parents took us on at least two "cross-country trips". The first when my brother was just starting to walk and then second when he was a little older. I wish I remembered more about the trips, I only remember bits and pieces. Like being allowed to walk barefoot in a rose garden (oh yeah, that was a GREAT idea). Getting a drink from a stream somewhere. Staying at a motel with a playground that had dog poo in the sand. Eating at a restaurant where the menus were attacked to wavy sticks and could be used as fans. And an crocheted orange kangaroo hand puppet that I got as a reward for being good in the car.
2. I entertained the idea of becoming a Franciscan or Carmelite nun briefly while in High School. The idea of spending my life praying for peace appealed to me.
3. I am fascinated by body art. But I hate pain and don't like being on the functional end of needles. I also wonder about people who don't have health insurance but spend hundreds of dollars on ink and body modification.
4. I loved working as an RN in the ER... but my real dream is to work in emerging infectious disease research. People that know me don't believe that I really do not want to work in a situation where I have to interact with different people all the time.
5. From the time I was 2 or 3 until I was around 6 years old my best friend in the world was my next door neighbor, Robin Tomlin. She moved away around then and I cried and cried. I regret that we lost touch. I remember my Mother telling me that I would forget her as I bawled my eyes out when her family drove away for the last time. But I never have.
6. I love my brother. He's my favorite family member. But when we were kids he was totally evil. I used to beg my parents not to make me babysit him. We would fight and he would chase me around the house with butcher knives. Funny thing, he now has culinary arts training and is a great cook. Thank goodness he learned a productive way to wield a knife!
7. When I was in grade school my best friend was a black girl who lived in Watts. We would take turns having sleepovers at each others houses. One time we were walking to the 7-11 near where she lived and a grown woman walked up to me and spit on me for being white. She said horrible things to me. It's an experience I've never forgotten.
8. EIGHT! EIGHT! I FORGOT WHAT EIGHT WAS FOR! ...oh allright... bad Ami, I couldn't resist the femmes reference. But stheriously... I actually discussed, with the nurse that worked at my high school, my decision to have sex for the first time. Don't laugh, she was actually really cool! I had a lot of migraines in high school, and was in her office often to get my prescription Motrin. She asked me if I had a car would I loan my car to this guy for a whole weekend without knowing what he was doing. She asked me if I had researched birth control. She told me that I might regret the decision later when he broke my heart, but what I should really consider was how I would feel about it 20 years later. Would I be embarrassed about who I chose? I'm not, and I'm fond of the memories I have. Thanks Donna!
O.K. Now to Tag 8 others...